Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - New member and scared already

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 1st August 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by ide man

Don't panic

Hi I own a 52 plate ide 74,000 miles and love my car there are certain things you should know about these cars .
Change the oil on them frequently do not leave 17,000 between oil changes as dealer states . I would advise every 8,000 and bob in mobil 1 0 30 w kwik fit do this for 37.00 .
Also if you drive it steady before oil changes bob in engine flush and injestor cleaner as the engine can build up carbon deposites . If you thrash it dont bother
This next bit is very important only put genuine Renault spark plugs on this vehicle as i discovered and other members have fitting others lead to mis fire and poor fuel econ .
I have owned alot of vehicles and drive ones for a living and what I can tell you is my ide is the best car I have owned goes like the wind on the motor way I feel the failings of the bad reports are because of renault putting a ridiculous service interval on a performance car .
As others have said it a straight foward engine no turbo to blow
As all cars you get the occasional bad one built on a friday afternoon but as long as the cambelt has been changed and oil you should be fine if you have initale spec you have a top car .
If you need any help please just message me .

Welcome to the forums

ide man
Its a relief to see some positivre comments. Like the originator [Cybermanc] I heard the IDE adverse comments after the event and have been worried to say the least. In essence you seem to be saying

1] Oil change/service every 10-12k if you use the car hard or every 8k if just used gently round town etc - ignore the 18l Renault suggestion.

2] Make sure only Renault Plugs fitted

Any other suggestions?
Currently in plevente's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna Privilege 2.0 IDE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome