Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - Jacking Advice

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 17th October 2010
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: Where should I put axle stands on a 1999 renault grand espace?

I've just been out and taken some pics,sorry for the delay buy it's been a bit of a cr4p day.

Anyway,it is a bit awkward on the rear of the Espace to jack up the car and put an axle stand somewhere solid,ideally you need a trolley jack with a decent sized pad on it to go under the rear axle directly under the area where the spring and shock are....

....and then you can put an axle stand under the body behind the jacking point on the rear of the sill.The jacking point is here.....

....the area to put the stand is behind the jacking point.....

If you are going to use the jack that comes with the car then that makes things a little more awkward as you won't be able to use the jacking point to put the axle stand under,so you would have to put the stand under the axle (again under where the spring/shock is).

Normally I wouldn't recommend jacking or supporting a car under a rear axle beam as they can sometimes be damaged,but as long as you jack/support it directly under the spring/shock area then it will OK as that is the strongest point and you are far enough out not to bend anything on the axle.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

I didn't get chance to take any photos of the caliper,I will take my camera to work tomorrow and get the wheel off and take a few just incase you need some help with removing your caliper.
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagdti For This Useful Post:
SONYPS23 (18th October 2010)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome