Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Interiors - Climate Illumination - Auto Climate Version

275K views 350 replies 188 participants last post by  rawill 
#1 ·
I wonder if any wise person can help me with another problem!!!!
At night I have no illumination on the climate display and assume there should be. Is this an easy fix and if so can somebody advised as to how.
Many thanks
Reedies.b :cool:

#52 ·
cpcrox said:
I have the same problem with an intermittent backlight. I've found that a sharp bang on the top of the A/c unit brings it back to life for a while. This method also works with TV's, dead dogs and errant children and is cheaper than replacement.
Yes, it always works - at first.......

Then a smarter bang and again and again till you eventually punch the bloody lights out of all of them........... ;)

#54 ·
reedies said:
I wonder if any wise person can help me with another problem!!!!
At night I have no illumination on the climate display and assume there should be. Is this an easy fix and if so can somebody advised as to how.
Many thanks
Reedies.b :cool:
It happened to my Laguna. The dealer replaced the whole panel under waranty with the brake server as there is a known fault with both. I was lucky as my mileage was over 60k but they still did the work free.
But in hindsight i think the LCd panel is a pain as it is too bright and doesn't match up with the brightness on the speedo. so when u turn it down it makes the speedo light too dim to read at night. It makes u think u are doing a film cause its so bright at night especially on a road the has no street lights the whole interior is lit cause of it. I wsh i never bothered now.

#60 ·
Hi all, I posted this as a seperate topic before being directed to this sticky (cheers Sprtstourer)
Just some additional steps to follow along with the excellent piccies on previous pages.

I hope this helps you guys, my air con unit would not light up the display when night driving (pain in the ****)

So here's a fix.

Instructions for repairing lighting behind climate display, read before commencing.

1. Remove ash tray. Ensure card is not in the card reader.

2. Pull out card reader it is only held in place with clips.

3. Pull out bottom of climate display, again it is only held in with clips.

4. Remove the 3 wiring plugs from the back of the unit, the top 2 connectors have lever clips pull these across the plugs as far as they will go to release the bottom one has a small catch push this in to release.

5. Now remove the coloured cover from the front, this is done by releasing the clips top and bottom with a knife or small screwdriver.

6. Now remove the inner front cover, again by releasing the clips the 2 large buttons will probably fall out. Be careful
with the glass screen as this is quit delicate.

7. Look at the top right hand of the printed circuit board you will see the resistor highlighted in the picture.

8. With a soldering iron re-solder both ends of the resistor, be careful not to leave the iron on for too long, it is also easier if a small amount of solder is applied to the tip of the iron prior to soldering the resistor.

9. Now rebuild the unit, make sure the plastic strip is in place and the glass display is lined up correctly before fitting inner cover, don’t forget to fit the large buttons.

10. Re-fit coloured outer cover and re-fit to car, make sure that the wiring plugs are correctly fitted, Fit the top part of the display into the dash and then push the clips into place at the bottom.

11. Re-fit card reader and ash tray. Job done

This repair can be carried out with the unit still connected to the car but takes a lot more care.

#61 ·
Hi,I,m a new member and have had the same problem with my illumination on climate control on the Laguna, I stripped it down, but could not see the cause, very technical, I was about to take it to a Television repair man to test the solder joints, in the end I went to a Scrap yard and got a replacement, it might go the same way

G
#62 ·
Steveprince
Pity you did not persist as the solution is simple, just a dab with the soldering iron in a couple of places (see the pics in this thread) and job done. Or see e bay where some wag is selling the cure for 99p!!!! Most faults like this are not visible, but a hairline break will cause the unit not to work. I've dealt with many in my time (TV's radios etc.) and they never show up on a visual check.
What did you do with the old unit? Don't chuck it as you may be able to fix it anyway.

#63 ·
Hi i too have the problem of the illiumination not working but now it has got worse.
For some reason now it keeps blowing the fuse for the climate control and when this happens you cant start the car without pressing down on the clutch???
Will the soldering of the board fix this do you reckon???
Has anyone else had this???
As the warranty company has said they won't pay out for a electrician to look at it.

G
#64 ·
CaptainEL
Think your problem is more than just the backlight LED's as these do not draw much current and the original fault of them not lighting up would not cause a fuse to blow. Do any of the facilities work, fan speed, blow direction, air con etc, or is the unit dead at switch on. A blown fuse may be associated with a motor in the system in which case an autoelectrician is your only option. But first try taking the unit out and giving it a visual check, if the fuse is blowing there may be some signs of burning on the printed circuit boards.
Best of luck

#65 ·
MIKE4369 said:
CaptainEL
Think your problem is more than just the backlight LED's as these do not draw much current and the original fault of them not lighting up would not cause a fuse to blow. Do any of the facilities work, fan speed, blow direction, air con etc, or is the unit dead at switch on. A blown fuse may be associated with a motor in the system in which case an autoelectrician is your only option. But first try taking the unit out and giving it a visual check, if the fuse is blowing there may be some signs of burning on the printed circuit boards.
Best of luck
No when the fuse blows nothing works???
Just taking the panel out now cant see anything wrong

#68 ·
I sympathise with you, here you are, bought a warranty, then discovered its not worth the ink they use to fleece you out of your hard earned and you end up doing it yourself.
Wish there was a forum somewhere that people could check that if they were entering into one of these sort of agreements they could check the performance of these con artists....

#72 ·
I have got another little twist to go with my illumination and fuse blowing.
When this was happening the sat nav was playing up so i thought it was all to do with the fuse.
Well soldered the board and i now have lights and also i noticed the break light on the boot wasn't working so removed bulb(Still got to get round to replacing it) since this the fuse isn't blowing anymore. BUT for some reason now the radio keeps cutting out as though the sat nav is going to speak even though i havn't programmed any directions and i keep getting a bleeping noise as though the seat belt isn't plugged in when it is.
And also if i have the windows open and go above 60mph it keeps coming up saying boot is open.
HELP GOING TO KILL IT.

#73 ·
climate illumination

Had same trouble with mine, went to scrap yard and found a one , by chance it works, but i put problem to the gang beforehand, after i fixed my problem, some one posted a picture of a unit stripped down and exactly which resistor was faulty( needed soldering back to the board) if you look through you will find it Good luck steve

#76 ·
Hi Guys,
This is my first message in this forum as i've only just bought my first reanult. Anyway, my laguna 2 has the same illumination problem on the climate control and i bought off ebay the instructions for £1.99 on how to take the unit out and fix it yourself. It does require some soldering but it comes with instructions and picture of the part that needs to be re-soldered and all seems very straight forward. I haven't had the time yet to take the unit out and try it plus it could be something else wrong with it too, but for 1.99 i thought it was worth a try. If anyone else wants the instructions then let me know and i'll email them for free without you having to buy it from ebay. Cheers
Colin

#286 ·
Hi Guys,
This is my first message in this forum as i've only just bought my first reanult. Anyway, my laguna 2 has the same illumination problem on the climate control and i bought off ebay the instructions for £1.99 on how to take the unit out and fix it yourself. It does require some soldering but it comes with instructions and picture of the part that needs to be re-soldered and all seems very straight forward. I haven't had the time yet to take the unit out and try it plus it could be something else wrong with it too, but for 1.99 i thought it was worth a try. If anyone else wants the instructions then let me know and i'll email them for free without you having to buy it from ebay. Cheers
Colin
Hi Colin

Can you please e mail me the instructions and any pictures how to take out the climate controll unit and which resistor to be solder.

Thanks in advance

Irshad

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.