Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much should this cost to repair? (Megane I wing)

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 26th October 2010 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
How much should this cost to repair? (Megane I wing)

Hiya ... my continuing insurance saga rumbles on. Now we're up to the stage of me being given various offers and options, as apparently it's a cat C write off. Gimme a break. Apparently the cost of repairing a wing and patching up a door runs to a quite ludicrous amount these days - never mind that I've been driving the car for 18 months since the accident, it's gone through one MOT scot-free and hopefully will soon do another. (And the 600-700 of mechanical work it's had done in the last 3-4 months)

One option that exists is that I keep the car, and they pay me market rate, less excess and salvage cost, on the proviso that I have the repairs done myself and keep the receipts. Of course, this leaves me a budget significantly less than what their approved repairer has quoted, but I do suspect them of massively jacking up the price anyway.

What would you guys think is a realistic price for doing the following at an everyday body shop?:

* Replacing front passenger side wing (metallic "vert-tigo" green)
* Replacing front passenger door or preferably straightening out the crush damage on it (about 2x15 cm strip on the leading edge, mainly from me having to further bash the wing about with block & hammer to get the door open)
* Er ... and that's it. Though you can also quote for the wholly unneccessary replacement of alloy wheel and front bumper if you like, never mind that the bumper wasn't touched and I replaced the wheel myself about a fortnight after the accident.

Damage area as shown in bright green on the attachment. The rest of the car isn't as cherry as it could be, but none of the other small dings, scratches, corrosion, small mechanical niggles are anything to do with the incident.
Well, except for the poorly DIY-touched-up gouge on the roof received when manouevring around the abandoned truck-trailer dumping ground that was the approved repairer's supposed address, looking for someone to talk to, until the smokers outside a local pub told me to try a different address way across town...

I would have just dropped the whole affair ages ago, but the solicitors want an estimate to go on in order to take it to court... and with no witnesses, and my own strong reluctance to either take the full liability hit or have an automatic 50-50 (THEIR fault, damn it - dozy twonk not knowing how to navigate a busy roundabout or work their indicators correctly...), I'm TOTALLY having it go to small claims.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cardamage.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	11340  
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
  5 Lastest Threads by tahrey
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Midlands scrapyards? General Chat hondo 3 829 28th December 2013 01:10 PM
Removing rain/light sensor, filler flap, wiper... Bodywork tahrey 2 1264 28th December 2013 01:07 PM
Clutch replacement interval? Transmissions Meganeman 5 2357 2nd September 2013 08:57 AM
Clio DCi 5 / 6 speed interchangeability? Transmissions tahrey 0 639 2nd September 2013 08:47 AM
bizarre gearbox fail, 2007 clio dci Transmissions tahrey 2 1255 20th August 2013 09:01 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome