Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

View Single Post
post #70 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale Newbie

Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you mate - thanks for checking in with and updating us all.

Really glad to hear you're still loving your petrol VS, your fondness growing week by week by the sounds of it. Same as me - every time I drive mine, I feel soothed (apart from over potholes/speed bumps) and remind myself why I got him.

Definitely, if your car's history says it had new brakes and suspension fairly recently, just leave those components for now - but I appreciate why you still got the K&N sorted. Yes, I wonder if it made any difference, apart from the nice sound. Would it make my diesel one sound nicer too if I got a K&N?

It'll be very interesting if and when you get yours chipped and/or the gearbox software updated. Keep us closely posted. Bit of a warning re the gearbox software, but you may have already quashed any worries about this... but I've been told by a few Renault experts that although the software update gets rid of the shunt/jolt when putting it into Drive, it then creates a jolt when going up or down between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. I'd rather live with my jolt by gently pressing the accelerator pedal before I shift into D, than getting my software updated but it results in general driving being worse than just when setting off. I may be wrong, I'm just going by what I've been told.

Glad you've been stocking up on eBay stuff. I bought some really cheap "brand new, boxed, official Renault" front brake discs recently, and wish I hadn't, as they're not coated and I can't be bothered sourcing an air tight bag, silica gel packets to keep them dry, or other solutions. Hmm.

Hey, great number plate you've got for yourself! I'm wanting to get one for mine too, when funds allow, as even cheap plates add up to about 800-1,000 by the time the fees are added on, don't they? I can't decide if I want a VS-specific plate, a plate that combines some VS reference and also to my name, or just to my name, or to his (the car's) name. Anyway, one for the future.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome