Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - working on Clio Brakes and handbrake on my own-frustrated, confused & need some help

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
working on Clio Brakes and handbrake on my own-frustrated, confused & need some help

Hi all. I'm new here and don't have much time due to other things going on, so would appreciate some 'to the point' and helpful support.

I bought a renault Clio 1.2 grande 98 S Reg and trying to work on the brakes and handbrake on my own. Very little free time or money but desperately wanting to try to get car prepped, through an MOT and on road to make life easier for getting to potential jobs as I'm currently unemployed but travelling annoyingly by bus.

Haven't worked on vehicles for a very long time and got a few other things need doing on car to get roadworthy.

I do have a Haynes manual but reading it while just wanting to get the work done is a pain when I'm on limited spare time and have no one else to help me out.

The first thing is this. I've took one of the rear brake drum hubs off. I don't have a visual reference of what a worn/badly worn brake shoe looks like and dont want to buy new until I'm sure. If i can try to explain what mine looks like.....
You have the metal plate/back plate whatever it's called. The part you connect up to the spring mechanism. As I look at it, there is the friction part itself on top of this. From the metal back plate to the upper edge of the friction lining it measures 3mm on front (trailing?) shoe and 4mm on back (leading?) shoe. Am I correct in assuming this is the friction part which I need to take the measurement from for deciding to replace the shoes or not, or is the part I'm talking about a metal lining plate?
Either way although it seems I'm within the minimum limits it looks like they will need replacing regardless.
I've got the hub in my hands looking at the condition of its inner surface. The outer edge ie the lip all the way around the inner surface looks worn to me but I'm not sure whether its okay to just go ahead and fit new brake shoes or if the hub needs reconditioning. If you can imagine looking at the hubs inner surface and also looking down at its surface ie 'plan' view, I can clearly see where the brake shoes contact with it. (It's nice and shiny lol) but the outside edge and measuring about 1cm in towards the 'shiny' bit it is 'chamfered'. Looking down 'plan' view it is not a perfect/smooth circle. Draw a perfect circle and then draw one freehand. You'll imagine what am trying to explain.

Given all that, the car is only needed for a few months to get to a job until I can afford something better, but if I can fix this one up good I will....investment of time and lack of money making this difficult but thats not important right now.
If there's anyone got msn and can maybe give me some advice first hand and in real time I'd appreciate it. A long story but thanks very much
Currently in robdurham's garage:
renault clio 1.2 Grande repairing
  5 Lastest Threads by robdurham
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
What to do now? - help please - engine overheated Engines Lagdti 4 949 30th October 2010 01:20 PM
working on Clio Brakes and handbrake on my... Brakes/Hubs robdurham 6 2776 27th October 2010 01:06 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome