Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Help ASAP! Buying A 2002 Clio Dynamique But Need A Few Answers!

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 27th October 2010
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: Help ASAP! Buying A 2002 Clio Dynamique But Need A Few Answers!

The SERV light will be on because of the airbag fault,there is no service indicator as such,the SERV light comes on if a problem is picked (airbag,ABS,power steering,engine management etc).The connections under the seat are the favorite cause of airbag light faults so it's worth trying this before going any further,preferably before buying the car as if it's not the connections then it could be an expensive fault to fix.

If it's just batteries for the keys then they will be a few pounds,if the fobs themselves are faulty then this will be considerably more to fix.

If I were you I'd check the connections under seats and change the batteries in the remotes BEFORE buying the car,if the problems are fixed then great,if they aren't then walk away (obviously taking the new batteries out of the fobs!).The airbag light would worry me in particular if messing about with the under seat connections doesn't work,in an extreme case it could mean that the car has been in accident and not repaired properly.......

The clutches generally do bite quite high on the Clio 2's,I can't remember if it's a cable or hydraulic system,but if this car does need a clutch then that again will cost roughly 300-400 off the top my head.

All in all I'd be tempted to walk away from this particular car,there are an awful lot of Clios out there so there are plenty of others to choose from.
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome