Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II v the III

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 29th October 2010
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Re: Laguna II v the III

Having had both a Lag II Phase II Initiale and a Lag III Initiale, I have to say that the III is a better car.

That said, if I was buying with my own money, the Lag II 2.0dCi Initiale would probably be top of my shopping list. The engine is vastly superior to the old 1.9, and when all's said and done, the 1.9 litre engine was the only thing that really went seriously wrong on my old Lag II.

If you like your toys, then the sat-nav/Bluetooth/Audio system that you'll get as standard in the late Lag II Initiales is superior to the standard system on the III Initiale. In fact, to get the same system as the Lag II was a 1000 option on the top of the range Lag III (if you're lucky, you might find one where the option was specified when new.) The standard system was a 2D one until the 2010 update, at which point you get TomTom as standard instead. Similarly, you won't get a sunroof on the III unless someone specified the 600 option when new. It's standard on the II Initiale.

There's pros and cons between the TomTom and the 3D DVD system, so it's difficult to say which is best. TomTom is a whole lot more flexible (speed cameras, custom POIs etc.) and the maps are considerably cheaper. The DVD navigation system, on the other hand, looks much nicer (less pixelly) calculates routes a hell of a lot quicker and integrates the whole Nav/audio/Bluetooth systems together much more sensibly.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome