Thread: MOT in 2011
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11th November 2010 Thread Starter
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: MOT in 2011

I think it may be an attempt to crack down on after-market HID lights fitted to incorrect headlight units - basically those which have been modified and fall outside the EU regulations. I would think a car that had been manufactured form new and complied with the type approval reugulations at the time of manufacture may be exempt.

Determining if a remap has a detrimental affect may be difficult to determine but its possible they may attempt to look at plug-in chips only.

In relation to the wiring harness I think it is just a tightening up of the rules and obviously will only apply to those that can be readily seen. As it stands at the moment only obviously damaged wiring may fail but for instance if the examiner found a loom chaffing against something and thought there was the potential for a fire in the near future - then it may be a fail.

In all honesty much of this may be speculation it will be interesting to see what actually happens. If good old VOSA have anything to do with it - no doubt it will be the perverbial mess- up.

I think the air-bag aspect speaks for itself and will fall into line with the same rules that apply to ABS lights for instance.

A chipped ECU is where an extra component is physically plugged in to fool the ECU into changing the engines running performance whereby a remap is a modification or re-write of the software encorporated into the engine managemnt system.

I think the EU are working towards a test standard which reflects the original manufacturers specification or type approval.

It will be interesting to see how these proposed changes will affect futire tests.

As it stands at the moment the UK standard of test is not as high as some other EU countries - Ireland, Holland and Germany to name but a few so in essence the UK have a bit of catching up to do. In the Republic of Ireland the test is quite onerous but is only required every two years.

These changes may also have a greater affect on cars which have been imported from outside the EU.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome