Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #195 of (permalink) Old 4th August 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Brigatti - just seen your photo and notes.

I agree that the safety catch jamming in the not-engaged position is due to the plastic handle as you describe and mentioned on watchdog.

The bonnet side of the main catch is basically a metal rod with an conical arrow shaped end, I will call it a spike for the lack of a better description.
I would ignore the spring on the spike ; as I understand it, the purpose of this is just to stop the bonnet rattling and cushion the closing of the bonnet when dropped.
If the spring was entirely missing the bonnet should still close properly, but with a bang. If it was completly siezed (unlikely as dropping the bonnet should free it) the bonnet may not close.

I would pay more attention to the main catch mechanism on the car that the spike engages with. I would think that it is likely to be partially siezed due to corrosion and dirt. This is the active part that should lock the spike in place to hold the bonnet down.

Picture of laguna main catch (similar to clio)- from p.16 of this thread.

Currently in andy_tech's garage:
Ford Mondeo

Last edited by andy_tech; 4th August 2006 at 11:36 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome