I took my rear number plate off the other day, to polish behind it, and notice the paint was starting to bubble around where the screws go into the metal. Also some dots of rust started to appear where seems like the number plate has been rubbing against the metal work.
I have now placed some
around the screw holes and rust spots and lifted the number plat by putting some rubber border around the underneath.
My questions is:
1) I raised a call with Renault HQ. They however have advised me that they don't think this would come under the 12 year anti- corrosion warranty, and plus I would have needed to get my car inspected every year by Renault for corrosion.
2) I did not get my car inspected, as I service my own car, and it does not take Einstein to figure out your car is rusting. Secondly would they remove your Number plates and rear bumper to inspect for rubbing against grit and possible rust?
3) If Renault refuses to cover this, is it best for me to sand down the metal work under the number plate and paint with Hamerrite Black paint, or do I need to get some sort of primer first?
4) I also noticied some rust developing on the water escape holes under the front bonnet and rear boot, so I have covered these with some
, but surely this should be covered as well?
5) I would be keen to hear from other people that suffered from similar rust problem, as if this is a known issue, then maybe Watchdog will come to the rescue (-;