Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic can hardly tow a thing!?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th August 2006 Thread Starter
Andy R
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Grand Scenic can hardly tow a thing!?

I was just about to buy a caravan at the weekend, when the dealer asked me to check my car handbook for maximum towing weights. Now, in all literature (sales, websites etc) it is quoted that the 1.9dCi Grand Scenic can tow up to 1300Kg, so no problem for an average 4 berth caravan - the one I was looking at weighed 1050Kg unbladen.

BUT - in the owner's manual, it appears this weight is for "driver only" and for all other situations (i.e. passengers and lugagge in the car) the maximum tow weight is 850Kg.

Now, I'm pretty fed up about this, as when I bought the car last year new, I specifically stated that I wanted to tow a caravan in future, and I had the dealer fit a towbar with dual electrics from new.

To then find that the car is hardly capable of towing any caravan on the market (and some trailer tents!) is unbelievable.

Does anyone know what's going on here, and why the limit suddenly gets reduced to 850Kg if you load the car with more than one person?

The caravan dealer suggested that it was to do with stress on the car when stopping. I notice that the "not Grand" scenic has a higher limit - indeed I believe a Vauxhall Corsa can tow more than this (don;t quote me on this though). He also said it's a common Renault thing -which is why you don't see many Renaults towing caravans1

What really gets me confused though is that the GS was listed in the shortlist for the Caravan Club's towcar of the year last year!

I don't want to ignore the 850Kg limit as I think with any incident, I'd be on very sticky legal ground - not to mention it possibly being dangerous. I'm guessing that I would invalidate my Renault warranty too - and I need that (been back 8 times to have an airbag fault fixed in the first 10 months already).

I am now in the process of negotiating with the Renault dealer to provide me with an alternative car of a similar spec and age at no expense to myself. When I bought the car and ordered dual electrics on the towbar (which would ONLY be used to tow a caravan), they should have alerted me to this.

Has anyone else come across this, or does anyone technical know why this lower limit applies? With other cars, if the car is loaded, you simply deduct this weight from the total towing weight allowance, not suddenly reduce it by 45%.

Thanking you....

Currently in Andy R's garage:
2005 Renault Scenic II 1.9dCi Privilege - not for much longer though!
  5 Lastest Threads by Andy R
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
I will NEVER buy Renault again Cars & motoring chris m 13 2911 31st May 2008 07:22 PM
All air con and fans not working Heating & cooling AlanJD 1 1183 31st May 2008 06:54 PM
Roofbars - plastic feet missing Cars & motoring Botchit, Soddem & Leggit 3 1243 18th January 2008 07:35 PM
Grand Scenic towbar too low Cars & motoring ottoman 10 6777 1st March 2007 08:52 AM
Grand Scenic can hardly tow a thing!? Cars & motoring silvervectra 10 12980 7th August 2006 08:11 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome