Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - RX4 - Tailgate lock broken

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 25th November 2010
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: RX4 - Tailgate lock broken

The upper glass latch and the gate latch are the same type of item. I think the 2wd Scenic tailgate latch is the same too, WRT the glass section. I don't think from viewing that the lower catch is the same.
Depends on what is wrong. Mine has an intermittent fault where it doesn't reload after being unlocked. A sharp tap with something metal will unlatch it usually. You'll hear a click as it reloads. Have a look at the latch, there is a small white plastic toggle that moves down an arced slide, that's the reload bit. If it's back close to the centre, it's reloaded. If not, like mine it'll jam closer to the top of the slide. With mine, I think it's just dirty inside and could do with overnight soaking in diesel to clean it out and then be regreased with some soft grease that won't harden and jam it, as I think has happened.
Here is the thread with photos I took of the door apart, hope it helps.

Possible solution....Rx4 sticky rear door locks.
Currently in OzRX4's garage:
2001 Megane Scenic RX4 Privelege Verve, 2003 Clio Privelege 1.4auto, {son's car}
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome