Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Arrrgh wifey puts petrol in my diesel

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 8th August 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
One of the big questions is what ratio of petrol to diesel did it run with? If she added a fiver's worth of petrol on half a tank of diesel then it won't cause much of a problem. If she filled up from empty, then that's a different kettle of fish.

The good news is that you won't need a new engine, but the bad news is (worst case scenario) you could need a new fuel system, right from the tank through to the injectors. The fuel pump needs the viscosity of diesel for lubrication, and running petrol through it basically 'unlubricates' the bearings. If the pump has been damaged, it could have let loose fragments of metal into the fuel system. You need to get all of this metal out of the system, and the only sure fire way to do it is to replace the lot (or so I'm told.)

But at a pinch, it might sort itself out in a few days, or at worst need a new fuel pump. I've heard people advise mixing engine oil into a spare can of diesel and adding that to the tank to boost the lubrication, but I'm not sure whether that's good practice or just asking for more trouble.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome