Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - Engines - 2.2Dti engine - Thrust washer failure

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 9th August 2006
Shaun wall
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I am still waiting (After six weeks) for a reply to my enquiry as to what a 'crankshaft pulley filter' is on a Renault Espace or any car for that matter.

This is in the thrust washer thread (if that is the correct terminology) intentionally 'cause I am about to share a secret with ya'll.

Thrust washer failures relates to clutch activation. Thrust washers are there to stop the crankshaft sliding along the block and falling out of the front of the engine. Figuratively!

Think about this for a mo. after putting the brain in gear first. The clutch disk, sandwiched between the face of the flywheel and the pressure plate, is released by overcoming the resistance of the springs which form part of the pressure plate mechanism.

For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action. The reaction in this case is taken up by the crankshaft thrust washers! So if certain Renault (or indeed ANY) engines were alleged to blow thrust bearings, prevention would be to ensure that, once the clutch had activated the pressure plate spring to release the disk it did not just 'keep going' and try to push the crankshaft 'out through the front of the engine'.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys?

Grand Espace Does It With More Espace to Espare!
Currently in Shaun wall's garage:
98 Grand Espace RXE 2.2G8T mit leather and air-con

Last edited by Shaun wall; 9th August 2006 at 05:06 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome