Join Date: Dec 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.
Thanks to aahbarnes and respect to all who have contributed to this thread. I thought I would post my experiences of fixing this too.
- You need small hands and forearms to get at the resister network. Too many pies and beers for me, but I have a teenage son.
- The red and black wires need a tug of about 15 kilos (the weight of a fully packed small to medium suitcase). This was a bit of a 'leap of faith'.
- The red and black wires released in 2 stages, the first tug released about 6" the second a further 3"
- I couldn't get out as much as shown in aahbarnes' pictures but it was just enough.
- Jiggling the connector around made the fan work. This helped me as it ruled out other theories I had as it confirmed this as the problem.
- The resistor pack does get really hot very quickly on low fan speeds.
- The idling engine revs drop significantly when the fan is not working AND the blower switch in the off position. Moving the switch to any other position caused the revs to increase by around 200rpm. This may be another problem.
- I noticed slight scorching to the connector for the yellow/white cable
After some considerable foul language, the dash is back together with the fan half working. I will order a new connector....
Currently in Lomelec's garage:
04 Scenic II, 1999 Volvo V70, 57 Ford Transit SWB