Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Handbrake Problems Explained

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 16th December 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: W reg clio has handbrake snapped

1st post so bare with me!

As far as handbrake problems go there are basically 3 options which i have experienced:

1. The front of the 3 cables snaps (from handbrake to the individual rear brake cables) which is my cars current condition!

2. 1 of the 2 rear cables, which go form the the front cable to each each rear wheel snap. (In my case, 1 snapped and the handbrake did not grip at all)

I would reccomend replacing both at the same time, as they have approx the same life expectancy and over their life will stretch. By replacing 1 will mean the old one is slightly longer than the new one = unequal force to each brake.

3. The handbrake assembly pulls up through the floor of the car (At the front of the handbrake). I fixed this myself with new bolts and some large washers to spread the force out (how it should have been made in the first place!)

I would do this DIY, no way would i pay for welding or whatever, mine is solid now.
Currently in ClioBazeley's garage:
Clio Mk2 W'reg 1.2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClioBazeley For This Useful Post:
clancy (22nd February 2012), VelSatisfied (16th December 2010)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome