Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - is this fair? handbrake recall on Scenic

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 17th December 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Re: is this fair? handbrake recall on Scenic

Originally Posted by mikerobinson View Post
There was a safety recall on the automatic handbrake of our Renault scenic (2003). We'd had no problems with the handbrake up until now but I wanted to play safe.I've no idea what they did but a week later my wife then started having issues with the automatic handbrake. It would take a few attempts to drive away before releasing and the electric motor seemed strained but the problem was intermittent so we were told to just monitor things.

A few weeks later on a steep hill in Crystal Palace the handbrake refused to release at all and the car wouldn't move. It was such a narrow road that traffic was at a standstill in every direction. She was asked to try to move the car to the side of the road but smoke began to pour from the clutch (?) and a fire engine was called but not needed! The police eventually managed to bump the car off the road. Finally an AA man arrived who knew about the handbrake release lever in the boot and we took the car straight off to a garage.

The garage tells us the clutch will need inspecting and most likely replacing - 8 hours labor and parts if required.
We also had to hire a car while Renault inspected the vehicle - 4 days car hire. Eventually Renault ring to say the handbrake is fine and want to charge us 68 pounds for the inspection!!!!

So to recap: Before Renault took our car away, it was fine. After they'd messed with it I now appear to have a bill for 4 days car hire, for a new clutch and for Renault's inspection. Also because they haven't fixed anything I'm guessing that the problem will just reappear. My wife now doesn't trust the car and doesn't want to drive it far.

I'd suggest if Renault notifies you of a safety recall then you think long and hard before giving them your car. I'd appreciate any opinions as to whether this is fair, unfair or even legal.

Mike Robinson
I am having the same issue. My car was recalled about 6 weeks ago. This morning when I got in my car,(its the key less system), the service light was on with red P light. I have had no issues before and nothing showing on my dashboard last night when I parked up. When I started my engine, it came up with Parking Break Fault, Stop, and the break won't release. Apparently I can manually release the break from the emergency release lever at the back, but I can only take it to a rennault dealer to reset it. Everytime I go to my nearest dealer, the charge me 100 for the pleasure and never really fix my problems, just cause more. I love my Grand Scenic, I just hate Rennault
Currently in mrspiggy's garage:
1.9v diesel Grand scenic
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome