Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor Running*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 30th December 2010 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor Running*FIXED*

Hi @ All!

New here - Megane owner for about a year now and I have an unsusal fault.

I have a 2003/4 Renault Megane 1.6 VVT with an odd temperature fault.

Some history:

I have had to have (sorry I'm not technical) a " coil pack" or something replaced about a month ago because the car was only firing on 3 cylinders (very lumpy, engine light on etc). This was fixed by a private garage.

on the 13th December, I drove from Trowbridge (Wiltshire) to Manchester airport. Car was fine, no warning lights etc.

On the 29th December, I picked my car up and drove back to Trowbridge - this is where my problems started.

Car started OK, no problems. Drove for a while on the motorway, no issues noticed aside from lack of fuel and lack of washer fluid.

Pulled into a Shell garage, fuelled up and filled up the washer bottle. Note this stage as it may be contributory.

Drove off (I paid, honestly!) and re-joined the motorway. Was rather foggy, so was running with all lights on (headlamps, front and rear fogs).

A while into the journey, I noticed the temp gauge falling a little bit. Didn't think much of it as it was VERY cold outside and there was VERY thick fog banks.

I noticed the temp gauge reach zero (far left). Then after a minute or two pick up and sit where it usually sits (on the 1/2 bar?).

Like an idiot, I didn't think much of this.

I then noticed, when the temp gauge reached zero the car, when lifted off the gas pedal, would feel "lumpy" and slightly shuddery. When going back onto the gas at this stage, the car felt a little more suddery then all smoothed out. The temp gauge would quickly rise as well.

Got home, no incident.

Today: Drove the car fine, fine for about 30 mins then temp gauge plumeted. I lifted off the gas at this point to see if I would feel the lumpyness - no lumpyness. I re-applied the gas and the car felt like it had no power for about 1/2 second, then the power came, accompanied with some aforementioned shuddering, which lasted for about 1.5-2 seconds then it all smoothed out.

I came to a stop in town when the temp gauge was at zero, and the revs fell off to zero (gradually). I couldn't start the car (engine kept on turning over on starter) on the first attempt, but the car did pick up on the second attempt and I was able to drive the short distance home wihtout incident.

I just tried to drive the car now, and the car suddenly went very lumpy and died when I came to a stop. Took several attempts to start the engine, which eventually started and *felt* fine on my return back home.

It's now sat in my drive and I am afraid to drive it in case the problem continues.

My question(s) is(are): what could be causing this?

Coil packs? Did I slosh some washer fluid on something I shouldn't have (there was some SLIGHT spillage, but only a few drops)? Was the fuel from Shell tainted (yes, I DID fill up correctly with the correct fuel!)?

I'm not too happy with the prospect of paying large bills again, as my car has already set me back the best part of 1500 in less than 12 months of ownership.

Currently in Casio's garage:
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 VVT
  5 Lastest Threads by Casio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Megane 2 - Erratic Temp Gauge/Poor... Megane Lagdti 15 15053 30th December 2010 04:58 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome