Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - RX4 rear shock replacement

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
RX4 rear shock replacement

My rear shocks were completely shot so it's a very easy job normally to replace them.

The 2001 RX4 shocks have an extended steel bush which is a tight fit in the lower suspension arm...when new. My 5 year old ones were seized solid and there's simple way to push or pull them out. Rang Renault and spoke with a techy and he said yeah they're a ***** to get out and had no idea what to try.

So I ground a couple of flats on the bush with an angle grinder to allow mole grips to get a good hold (you could use a file if you have all day).

I then placed a small bag of frozen peas on the bush (not sure if they were waitrose or sainsburys) and left them there for 20 mins (got permission from the cook first).

I got a blow torch and carefully applied heat to the suspension arm just around the bush area being careful to keep it moving (you don't want to cook one area as you could change any case hardening or crack it).

Removed my thawing peas and bashed my old mole grips a couple of times and hey presto they came out.

Hope this helps someone one day.
  5 Lastest Threads by spw
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
RX4 Air Con pump noisey when AC switched on Engines drewpy 1 750 2nd November 2007 02:43 PM
RX4 rear shock replacement Cars & motoring germall 6 2379 12th August 2006 12:32 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome