Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The truth about factory stereo replacement ??

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2006 Thread Starter
Major Goat
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The truth about factory stereo replacement ??

Evening All,

Just joined this evening - feel welcome already.

I drive a 2004 Laguna Dynamique ( 04 plate ).

The stereo is the original factory supplied model.

Recently the CD has started skipping. I was considering replacing it with a newer, MP3-ready model ( maybe also with iPod connectivity ).

HOWEVER, I used to drive a 1997 1.8 RT. I distinctly remeber asking my local Renault dealer about a stereo swap on this older car and was told in no uncertain terms that only a Renault-supplied model would be suitable ( i.e. would work with the satellite/stalk control ) and would set me back in the region of 500...

What with a satellite and a separate LCD display on the newer Laguna's dashboard I suspect that the dealer's assertion may be even truer today than it was a few years ago.

Therefore I was wondering if you guys could clarify the true position re: replacing the factory stereo.

(by the way, I'm not interested in a CD autochanger )

i) Was the dealer right ?

ii) If so, is replacing it yourself a realistic proposition ( either DIY or via e.g. a Halfords-style "fiiting included" deal )

iii) Will the satellite and remote display work ?

iv) Are there specific makers / models to avoid in the case of the new Laguna

v) When all is said and done, is it better to get a Renault dealer to do it for me.

Looking forward to any advice you can offer, especially if you've changed your stereo and lived to tell the tale.

Best wishes,

Major Goat.
  5 Lastest Threads by Major Goat
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
The truth about factory stereo replacement ?? Cars & motoring chris m 4 3730 12th August 2006 06:20 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome