Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The truth about factory stereo replacement ??

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Major Goat
Just joined this evening - feel welcome already.
Great stuff! Welcome to the mad house
i) Was the dealer right ?
Yes and no. He may well have been right in 1997, but things have changed. There are many units that can be interfaced to the Renault remote, and a few that will run the display too. You usually have to invest extra in interface boxes though.
ii) If so, is replacing it yourself a realistic proposition ( either DIY or via e.g. a Halfords-style "fiiting included" deal )
DIY or third party installs should be fine.
iii) Will the satellite and remote display work ?
As long as you buy a unit that has the appropriate interfaces available, and buy those interfaces too, you'll be fine. To be honest, I wouldn't be that fussed about the display - the one on the new stereo will probably be better
iv) Are there specific makers / models to avoid in the case of the new Laguna
None that I'm aware of. The Lag 2 Phase 1 wiring seems to be pretty conventional apart from the reversal of the permanent and ignition live feeds. It's a shame the same can't be said for the Phase 2
v) When all is said and done, is it better to get a Renault dealer to do it for me.
Only if you have more money than sense, and as you're asking the question, I suspect you haven't
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome