Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 2 - Tailgate Not Locking

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Re: Renault Scenic 2 - Tailgate Not Locking

I have just had this same problem for the second time since the Dec 2010 cold snap. The tailgate is opened routinely, then won't catch shut or lock, which means the whole car is stuck unlocked.

What worked this time was this:
1. Yes, plenty of WD40 into the lock catch.
2. With the tailgate open, I could work the lock manually, pushing the catch round with the stem of a screwdriver. This doesn't fix it but helps to know that it's not jammed and moves freely. An indication of the problem was that it wouldn't stay in the locked position.
3. With the tailgate up, looking up at the catch, there is a little slot above and to the right of the main catch mechanism, through which you can see a flat lever about 8mm wide. WD40 into this slot also.
3. I found that, once WD40'd, moving the lever to the right (using a slim screwdriver or key) operated the actuator. This seemed to be the problem.
4. operate the car locks a few times using the key and open the tailgate with the door button to check it works now.
I found that once it had operated once, it was fine after that.
This problem seems to happen just after a spell of freezing weather.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy50plus For This Useful Post:
andrewmack (10th May 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome