post #2 of (permalink) Old 5th January 2011
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: clio rear axle

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if the axles vary from year to year or from engine type etc,but as long as you get one as close a year to yours I would say you'd be OK.

Try and see the car the axle comes off of,most breakers are pretty good and will check parts before they send them out but some are less carefull.It would be ideal to find a car thats been hit in the front to make sure the axle hasn't been damaged (even a small amount of twist or damage will cause excessive tyre wear and odd handling),but even then theres no guarantee that the axle is still straight as recovery companies aren't known for their care when rescuing crashed cars,and the car will then be transported to the breakers from the insurance company in a similarly carfree manor.

Take the time to look at any possible replacement carefully,better still take a tape measure with you and make sure everything is straight by measuring each side from a position marked in the centre of the axle.It's not an exact science,but it will show up things that the eye doesn't neccessarily see.Once your happy with the replacement and you have it fitted,get the car checked out on a decent 4 wheel alignment system operated by someone who knows what they are doing.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagdti For This Useful Post:
gary mott (6th January 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome