Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hope These Haven't Fallen Off My Vel Satis?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 7th January 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Bits Fallen Off / Exhaust Smoke / Vibration !

Argh, I just put the car back in the drive (to leave it safely just in case there's a major problem) and noticed for the first time that:

1/ While stationery, if I keep my foot gently on the gas pedal, there is a rougher engine feeling/slight vibration at certain RPMs. The car feels ever so slightly lumpier than normal, but not much, and it always starts first time, even in this cold weather.

2/ The exhaust seemed to be producing quite a bit of smoke/steam/whatever while the car was sat there stationery, idling. Is this the cold weather, or more serious? The stuff coming from the exhaust is light-coloured/whiteish and is not black/dark smoke and does not overly smell. Also there is no vibrating noise from the exhaust when stationery/idling.

3/ When the steering was on certain degrees of lock, I felt a vibration through the wheel, when the car was stationery/moving very slowly? (so it ain't the tracking/balancing).

Recently, I've occasionally heard and felt a "pheh, pheh, pheh..." which seems to be coming from the back-half of the underside of the car, only very occasionally, at various speeds but almost always when the car feels to be in too high a gear (it's an auto).

Also, an intermittent cyclical rubbing sound comes/vibrates from the OSF wheel area, but the mechanics/garage couldn't detect anything, so said wait til it gets worse. Which it has not.

Are my exhaust, gearbox, driveshaft/bearings/whatever and engine all packing in at once? Argh! It was more-or-less absolutely fine when I last drove it 5 days ago...!

UK Renault Vel Satis 3.0 DV6 dCi auto owner

Last edited by hu88ertvelsat; 7th January 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: More info/detail
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome