Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 9th January 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

OK, today I hoisted the vehicle up at a local DYI-place just to inspect it underneath.

The propshaft seems completely intact, including the bearings and the rubber coupling. I noticed I could twist the shaft a few degrees in either direction before it stopped turning, it wasn't rock solid when it came to twisting it by hand. That would be considered normal, no?

What I noticed was that the flywheels on either sde of the rubber coupling had broken rubber on the inside against the shaft. I could twist the flywheels quite freely, aswell as bend them backwards and forwards. I feel confident that these flywheels are what causes the vibrations, as when the propshaft reaches a certain RPM, the centrifugal force slams the flywheels to one side, and the shaft becomes unbalanced.

I read about some guy who had filled the distances between the shaft and the flywheels completely with bathroom silicon. I guess that'ss be my first choice too.

If it doesn't work, I will remove te flywheels completely, replacing the rubber coupling with a heavy duty one from Dave Mack. It is supposed to works fine on it's own without the flywheels.

To be continued ...
Currently in SVJ's garage:
Renault RX4 DCi -01
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome