Join Date: Mar 2010
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Megane 1 faults
I just read most of the problems here and decided to post since we have 2 Meganes. The ones in bold are common problems.
1999 1.4 8 valve:
1. Windscreen washer motor. After some cold temperatures it wouldnt spray any washer fluid. i opened it up and cut down the the stopper thing that gets pushed from side to side and it worked fine. Recently, water would come out of the bottom of the car instead of the nozzles. Took the wheel off again and replaced a loose hose which I find has a design fault because the hose gets squashed during fitting the washer bottle.
2. Indicator Stork / Relays. There is a constant clicking sound when the indicators are off, it is a different sound to when the indicators are on. Indicators do work but they dont self cancel sometimes when you turn the steering wheel. Sometimes they dont even work all together. Headlamps are also problematic. No fix as of yet but I have replaced the relay. I think I need to open back part that the steering wheel goes on to.
2. Recirculating air blower flap. Common problem, please stop posting and read for the fix. When you turn the key it starts making knocking sounds because it is trying to close the flap so fumes dont come in.
Can replace the entire unit (very costly) or cable tie the flap open OR do what I did and simply unplug the flap so that its always recirculating or blowing fresh air. (not sure which, but it stops the darn knocking sounds)
3. Rear number plate lights work occasionally. fix: contacts were corroded, sanded it off and applied grease to prevent problem.
4.Rear driver side door does not work with central locking. Common problem with Meganes - all the locks are very poor. Haven't fixed it yet because it still locks/unlocks manually.
5. Rear interior lights only worked when jiggled about. Superglued the terminals to the housing as they had come loose.
2001 1.6 16 valve:
1. Boot door never locks. I took off the lock a few times, took it apart, put it back together. Works for a while then stops locking with the central locking. (door still opens and closes though). Will replace with a new lock from scrappy soon.
2. Engine mount (gearbox) had worn out. Replaced with new but non Renault part.
3. ABS / servo lights sometimes came on and braking was juddering. Replaced drive shafts
4. Headlights turn off when indicators are turned on. Indicator stork is very problematic, sometimes doesnt work at all.
5. Battery leads corroded. Replaced from scrappy.
Other things Megane buyers should be aware of:
Check that the headlights / indicators / electrics etc. work at the same time.
Check central locking works on all doors.
Inspect underside and wheel arches for corrosion/rust as Meganes dont hold up well if they're not garaged.
Currently in kuklor's garage:
2001 Megane 1.6 16 valve Dynamique, 1999 Megane 1.4 8 valve Liberte