Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 9th January 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

Originally Posted by SVJ View Post
OK, today I hoisted the vehicle up at a local DYI-place just to inspect it underneath.

The propshaft seems completely intact, including the bearings and the rubber coupling. I noticed I could twist the shaft a few degrees in either direction before it stopped turning, it wasn't rock solid when it came to twisting it by hand. That would be considered normal, no?

What I noticed was that the flywheels on either sde of the rubber coupling had broken rubber on the inside against the shaft. I could twist the flywheels quite freely, aswell as bend them backwards and forwards. I feel confident that these flywheels are what causes the vibrations, as when the propshaft reaches a certain RPM, the centrifugal force slams the flywheels to one side, and the shaft becomes unbalanced.

I read about some guy who had filled the distances between the shaft and the flywheels completely with bathroom silicon. I guess that'ss be my first choice too.

If it doesn't work, I will remove te flywheels completely, replacing the rubber coupling with a heavy duty one from Dave Mack. It is supposed to works fine on it's own without the flywheels.

To be continued ...
The slight shaft movement is in built and won't effect any vibration on running.

What are you meaning by flywheels on either side of the shaft??

Are you saying the coupling is flogged out?
Currently in OzRX4's garage:
2001 Megane Scenic RX4 Privelege Verve, 2003 Clio Privelege 1.4auto, {son's car}
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome