Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10th January 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic RX4 - Various Questions

My last post in this thread. From the horse's mouth:

Originally Posted by Dave Mac Propshafts in an e-mail I received today

The vibration dampers are steel rings, like a flywheel. However they are not securely fixed to the rotating propshaft. They sit on a rubber cushion which means that their mass (inertia) damps or actually absorbs some of the peaks and troughs in the rotation of the item(props). When the rubber becomes worn they are no longer held correctly in the centre of rotation and so become very heavy bob-weights causing severe vibrations.

When you remove the propshaft bolts and remove the propshaft and rubber coupling, you will find that both the front and rear damper, as in your photo, are secured with 3 (each) top hat type bushes.
Just tap these loose with a chisel or screwdriver (eye protection should be worn). The dampers will come away from the prop/diff respectively.
Remove the 3 bushes from the dampers and re-use these (i.e. replace them from where they came in the diff/prop WITHOUT the damper). These then act a spacers taking up the space where the damper
Currently in SVJ's garage:
Renault RX4 DCi -01
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome