Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 54 plate - To buy or not to buy? That is the question!!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10th January 2011 Thread Starter
rebel raiser
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Laguna 54 plate - To buy or not to buy? That is the question!!

Hi everyone...I'm new on here and potentially a new Renault Laguna owner too - but before I make my decision as to whether to "buy or not to buy" - can I ask for your opinions generally as to your thoughts on this model of car? (Having read lots of threads, preferably with only 3 swear words per sentence if you can restrain yourselves!)

I've found a lovely late 54 plate Initiale with 75000 on the clock - but that's about all I can tell you, except I know it's not had a cambelt change & it looks to have standard faults i.e. the front tyre has a leaky valve, and the rear o/s window regulator is kaput (all of which I've negotiated being sorted within the price by the way).

It is a repossession so unfortunately has no service history - although I've had a good friend and mechanic look it over and he says it appears to have been well maintained, nothing is apparently leaking anywhere etc. I found an excellent site which gave me pointers to check on the car, all of which I did and all of which it passed - like no whistle in the turbo uphill, no jumping out of 2nd gear, gearbox noises/crunches, no puddles in footwells etc etc etc...

I may be of the female persuasion...but total car idiot I'm not. I do my homework and research well before I decide to buy - hence my asking you the question! Many of you have the tee-shirt and are either wearing it or ripping it to shreds by the sounds of things!

I am, however, suffering from utter confusion at the moment and would love some comments from you all as to your thoughts on the Laguna and whether to buy or not to buy.

In my research I've read horror stories about how utterly unreliable Laguna's are.....then found other threads on how much more reliable the late 54 plates are to the earlier Phase 2 models. There certainly seem to be less mention of the 54 plate - or is that just wishful thinking......

Thing is, my philosphy - rightly or wrongly - is that at the end of the day a car, is a car, is a car. They break. They need fixing. If you get a bad one that's a bummer - but are they all REALLY that bad...Renault must make millions of the things.

Friends in South Africa say go for it....fab car....friends here generally have said - er...well, unrepeatable actually.

Bit of background - I do about 70 odd miles a day to and from work and probably need to make 4 or 5 long trips a year (Scotland, Wales, Wiltshire etc - from the Midlands) to see further afield clients.

Reading some threads it looks like a lot of Laguna owners happily tow caravans and their cars have done 140,000 plus miles going all over the show - makes my approx 17,000 look a bit puny!!

Thought I'd ask if you'd be kind enough to give me your general thoughts as to whether it might be a good buy or -as my local garage said - don't touch it with a barge pole and while you're at away - preferably in the opposite direction.

One problem.....I love the car and the way it drove! In fairness, it went like the preverbial sh*t off a shovel and I'm not heavy with the old right foot...So I may have to break my usually sensible rules and be ultimately entirely girly and go for it anyway.....

Much appreciate the time you've taken to read this post and to for any help/comments you might like to make. Thanks.
Currently in rebel raiser's garage:
Renault Laguna 1.9dci 2004
  5 Lastest Threads by rebel raiser
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna II Xenon Headlight Temperature? Electronics dave_mezza2006 5 1959 4th October 2011 08:49 PM
Laguna 54 plate - To buy or not to buy? That is... Cars & motoring ttrjohn 4 961 10th January 2011 12:46 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome