Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 2002 1.2 Electrical Fault Light help

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th January 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Clio 2002 1.2 Electrical Fault Light help

Electrical Fault Light
This Electrical fault light comes on at random every time the car is drove. When the light is on the car loses power not completely but seems to drag along the road. The car starts to shutter in gear and the rev counter bounces by itself up and down without rev and if you let it go below 10 the car will shut off completely and the battery light and stop light will be displayed. When you start the car straight away again the electrical fault light will still be on and you have to keep revs above 10 or higher in order to get the car to drive otherwise it will shut off again. When the light is on and you are driving the accelerator pedal seems numb to pressure on it but if you have a stretch of road and keep the revs above ten and donít have to break the light will go off by itself and you will see the accelerator pedal is sensitive to pressure again and responds to your foot. If the light is on and you ever have to break it brings your foot off the revs as long as the revs goes below 10 the car will always conk out. When the light is on there is a strong smell of petrol from outside the car when the car is shuttering and reving up and down by itself without your foot on the accelerator.
The problem is always guaranteed to happen when the back of the car is lower than the front. For example coming out of a drive and there is a dip or going over a speed bump when the front of the car rises and the back is lower the light is almost certain to come on. (i donít know whether there is electrics in the roof of the clio and water is in there and when the front on the car rises the water runs to wherever these electrics are and makes the light come on) the only thing makes me think its not that is that there bes a strong smell of petrol when the light is on and as if the car is struggling to get it to the engine as it starts shuttering and reving by itself until it conks out.
Another thing that happens when the light is on is if you turn off the engine for at least ten minutes after the engine is off it sounds like a motor is still running at the front right driver side of the car behind the front right headlamp. A constant motor clicking sound.

I have read lots of forums on people not being able to fix this problem and spending hundreds bringing it in and out of garages without resolve and also lots of people saying to make sure there is not a box covering the connections which is too heavy and erodes the wire (mines didnít even have a box and the connections look fine so Iíve ticked that off my tried list as well;
Booked in with Renault dealer ran checks on diagnostic comes back you need new coil packs and spark plugs + that original £65 to connect it to the machine. Said go ahead replace it all and ill pay, which happened went to collect the car a couple of days later driving home I have to pause at a junction slight hill and the light is back on same issue again with the electrical fault light, rev needle and car conks out.
This was over a year ago now i have had it into 3 garages i think since who cannot find the problem it will pass the mot mind you with this issue but they will not be able to tell what it is so to date ive had spark plug coils replaced and just the other day i booked it into Renault again to run diagnostic do checks and get this sorted. They rang me back advised i needed the throttle body cleaned and reprogrammed to the ecu and 4 new spark plugs i asked are you sure this is going to resolve the issue they advised it would as i explained am skint and the total of the diagnostic plus throttle clean and reprogramme as well as vat and passenger side seat lever fix came to £480.
They have rang back today and advised me that they are still waiting for the seat cable to fix the lever and they cleaned the throttle and ran the diagnostic again and found new faults. Apparently the o2 sensor is faultly which i understand is the lambda sensor everyone is talking about and this needs replaced but they will fix it for free if i pay for the part bringing my bill to £625 including vat i am totally being raped by Renault and they will have my car until Monday now and i still donít know if this will resolve this 2 year problem. Best of luck with getting it sorted because it is the most disheartening problem with a car i have come across and just cant resolve nomatter how much i agree to pay.
Currently in clioelectricalfault's garage:
Renault Clio 2002 1.2 16v Expression Red with Dreaded Electrical Fault
  5 Lastest Threads by clioelectricalfault
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio 2002 1.2 Electrical Fault Light help Cars & motoring Angelpandora 4 4540 14th January 2011 04:13 PM
Electrical Fault Light - Clio Expression 2002 Electronics Chargx 4 3299 29th November 2010 01:44 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome