Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much should this cost to repair? (Megane I wing)

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 20th January 2011 Thread Starter
Inveterate Bodger
Nominated 0 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: How much should this cost to repair? (Megane I wing)

Well, I did get a reasonable (600 give or take a few notes depending on exact details) quote from a local repairer before xmas ... put it on hold because they said the car would be off the road for a week and I kinda needed it. Was going to be doing it around this time as I could use my bike instead (haven't yet because of **** weather, illness and carrying large loads)... but again it's being held until I can figure out what the wierd noise its making is, and can get it nicely cleaned up.

Have at least had the insurance cheque and cashed it, so there's probably a requirement to have something done soon - or to replace the car outright - but I'm not going to fanny about losing use of it for a week in order to have what is ultimately pointless work done.
(Heck it's pointless anyway, but it seemed a good thing to have when I first started the claim ... it's been almost two years since though, the value of it all has dropped rapidly, particularly as the car has about 1/3rd more miles on it... ain't going to put any "extras" on top any more, e.g. having various scratches smoothed, fixing up the rear arches, as they're definitely turd-polishing exercises after this winter)

I'm leaning towards steve's idea, even, although I don't even know where i'd begin in terms of taking off the old wing and putting the new one on. Bodywork is a tightly closed book at the moment. I can see a couple of likely painted-over bolts when the bonnet's open, but they surely can't be all, and haynes is its usual useless self on the matter. Plus it would still leave the door in a state, and even though I suspect the bodyshop will just build it up with filler, I'd prefer that than either leaving it all creased to hell, or the horrific mess I'd make of it myself. (I already had one car with a caved in door have a hilariously crap bodge replacement done by the dad of the culprit - never again. Coachwork requires a touch of skill and experience.) ... second hand parts don't worry me, but second rate workmanship does.
Currently in tahrey's garage:
Honda CG125, Scott Voltage MX5, dirt, lots of random bottles and tools, porktastic Clio III DCi, dodgy shelves...
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome