Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic, worth a punt?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Haree
Re: Grand Scenic, worth a punt?

Hello Nick,

the 2.0 VVT Grand Scenic you are considering buying is it auto or manual. If its the auto version make sure all gears engage reasonably smoothly and there is no nasty jolts from the box. The most common faults with the 4 speed DPO autobox fitted to the scenics and Grand Scenic is the solonoids can fail or they suffer with pressure regulation sensor faults which can cost a good few hundred pounds to put right. Also timing belt along with pulleys, tensioners and water pump should be replaced every 5 years or 72K miles on all engines in Scenic and Grand Scenic, make sure the fan works on all speeds, if it doesn't its likely the rearstat has failed, all windows work and check any other electrics. I personally would avoid having a panoramic roof as they can creak like hell, but thats up to you. Scenics and Grand Scenics can be very good reliable cars but can also be nothing but trouble like any other make of car. Buying a car thats been well maintained and looked after will be a good start. If you fancy a diesel you may find a 1.5 DCI within your budget. It will not be as quick as the 2.0 but you should get about 55mpg plus on a run and you are lucky to get 38MPG on a run out of the 2.0.

Hope this helps.

Currently in Haree's garage:
I don't have a garage just a driveway. The Modus 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique Auto is my Grandparents car which I also drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haree For This Useful Post:
nick31 (26th January 2011)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome