Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

View Single Post
post #152 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2011
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic II - Access the resistor pack in 5 mins.

Looks as if my car only has a dummy sun sensor. It is only the climate control variants that have a real one. So the loose wire does not matter in my case.

Just before aahbarnes published his excellent “5” minute method I worked out a way to replace the resistor pack with a home made set of resistors on a big heatsink mounted above the brake pedal. I posted some details in another post here. This saved having to access the blower area at all. My setup worked well for 2 years but recently failed as:

1) One resistor got too hot and burnt out so it went back to speed 4 only.
2) Then the 12V feed to the old resistor plug burnt out loosing everything.

I fixed 2) by cutting the red fan wire and the 12V feed to plug and connecting the 2 together. Ideally I should have done the same to the black fan wire as all the current still goes though one old resistor pack connection, but there is no sign of burning there yet. I am going to replace the burnt resistor and either increase the heatsink size or add a small computer fan to cool it some more. That will cost me only £2 if I have a suitable fan already. Otherwise I’d have to get the Renault fan and loom.

I don’t recommend people change just their resistor as the loom will almost certainly fail later.

Anyone had trouble with chocolate block connections? It is hard to get a soldering iron or crimping tool in through aahbarnes’ hole.

All the reports I have seen are due to either burnt out safety fuses or overheated connections. It is difficult to see how these would cause a car fire unless the plastic of the connector was particularly flammable. But if a car did catch fire it could be difficult to prove that this was the cause.

What annoys me is that it is clearly a design fault yet Renault, instead of supplying parts at cost as a courtesy because they made an error, are charging probably 5-10 times the cost price.
Currently in echase's garage:
04 Scenic 1.9dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome