Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - megane senic 11

Thread: megane senic 11
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 26th January 2011
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Haree
Re: megane senic 11

as has been said if buying a Renault Scenic the timing belt on any of the engines along with the pulley's, tensioners should be replaced every 72K miles or 5 years whichever comes first and its also a strong recommendation that the water pump if driven by the timing belt is replaced at the same time. A common fault on the 1.6 16v VVT is the dephaser pulley can fail and signs of it failing is a rattle like noise on start up especially with a cold engine so you may not hear it when you start the car up for the test drive if the car has been started that day. Therefore if you can ask the seller not to start the car so you can start it from a cold start. Make sure all the windows work as window mech's can fail (Renault will cover these upto 7 years old and 50K miles with 100 customer contribution), the dash display works, check all speeds on the fan. If one or more of the speeds do not work its likely to be a burned out rearstat thats the fault. With regards to the automatic gearbox make sure that all gears up and down engage smoothly, although having said that the Renault DPO box which is auto adaptive is a bit odd at times and can take a bit of getting used to. The most common faults with the DPO automatic gearbox is the pressure sensor can fail or the EVM solonoid valves can fail and to put right you are looking at a few hundred pounds. The 1.6 auto is a bit slow and does get a bit bogged down. The 2.0 auto is much better and in real life does not use much more fuel.

Currently in Haree's garage:
I don't have a garage just a driveway. The Modus 1.6 16v VVT Dynamique Auto is my Grandparents car which I also drive.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome