Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Replacement key w/central locking button

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 27th January 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault - Clio - Replacement key w/central locking button

I have a Renault Clio RXE Auto 1999. The key started to play up and I assumed correctly the battery needed replacement. I have replaced the battery in my keys several times over the problem.

Recently, due to just getting older I have a slight tremor on one hand. I opened the key fob and dropped the lot. The terminals do not have a straight forward indication of what goes where. After several attempts, as a poster here suggested; off to my local Renault dealer who I asked to do it for me with a new battery if necessary. Not asking for something for nothing here! Prepared to pay....

The counter assistant told me the metal terminals were not floating, they should be stuck down!

Never have been in all the time I have had the car! A mechanic took the key away and told me that it could not be done and that a replacement may be the way to go.

I went to an expert car electronics expert who was familair with the key's design. He told me the terminals were never stuck down and in two minutes arranged the terminals, tested the key which works fine now. Were Renault trying to get get me to spend 130.00 on a new key? Hmmmmm...

I don't know if I am allowed to mention the name of the company that did the key in Sutton Coldfield.

A bit of advice from me though. The next time you replace a battery and before it falls apart in your hands, take a couple of digital photos of the inside with terminals in position. It will take some of the guesswork out of the job and maybe save some money.
Currently in JRK's garage:
Clio RXE Auto
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRK For This Useful Post:
mid4did (10th August 2015), tahrey (20th September 2012)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome