Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Electronics - How to replace passenger side headlamp - New shape Scenic

View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 2nd February 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Scenic - Electronics - How to replace passenger side headlamp - New shape

re. 2006 Scenic.

Both my dipped bulbs failed about a year ago. I replaced them with Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs which were on 2 for 1 offer at 25 pounds. They both failed again this weekend. Because I needed a quick fix I replaced them with the same Halfords bulbs (Still 2 for 1 at 25 pounds). I'm 6'4" with big hands, reasonably practical, and managed to change the bulbs 'relatively' easily in 30 minutes without having to remove any trim. Having said that, it's not a very user friendly design.

Here's my experience for DIPPED beam which may help. Main beam is just as easy but uses a spring type of fixing.
It's fiddly work and using a torch before hand to identify the specific parts and understand how they are located is a big advantage.
A combination of using left and right hands plus various gripping positions (as required) may help matters.

Identify where the blown bulb is located through the headlight glass and work in the engine bay area directly behind.
Remove the rubber cover from back of headlight. NOTE that there is a separate cover for dipped and main beams.
Holding the wiring connector block, rotate it maybe 1/8th turn (it only loosens one way) so it unclips the bulb from the headlight.
It needs a firm twist to unseat it. Remember which way you rotated it and note orientation of the wiring harness connector block - I think wires point downwards.
Withdraw bulb from headlight then unclip wiring connector from bulb (a small screw driver helps to release the securing clips on both sides)
Remove bulb carrier from blown bulb and refit to new bulb making sure locating tabs are correctly seated
Do not touch the new bulb with bare fingers.
Attached wiring connector block to bulb until securing tabs locate then refit assembly into headlight.
The hardest part is to seat it correctly and gentle wiggling is required. It may help to observe progress through the front headlight glass to check correct alignment of the bulb.
Once seated, rotate opposite way to undoing it to clip assembly back into headlight.
Currently in birdface's garage:
06 Scenic 2.0 Auto / BMW R1100S / Suzuki TL1000S
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome