Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic MkII brakes, whats up with the car now

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2011
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Scenic MkII brakes, whats up with the car now

Originally Posted by andydci View Post
I'm just searching the forum for this very reason, my brakes behave very odd, sometimes they are way too keen and even the lightest of touch on the pedal stands the car on its nose, usually they are just very strong brakes, but quite often I get this behaviour. The pedal feels unresponsive and the brakes are less powerful in operation, and if pressure is held on it it will sink to the floor, pumping the brakes will produce a hard pedal which then sinks back down again, and rapid pumping of the pedal results in a 'pffth' 'pffth' from the servo.
Knowing what I am doing I suspect the master cylinder, or possibly a rear caliper issue as the offside tyre has developed a dark pattern on the sidewall where the holes of the wheeltrim are, but only this wheel which makes me wonder that some excessive dust or maybe vapour is coming from the brake.
Having only had the car a few week I'm still absorbing the ins & outs of scenics so thought I'd come back here to see what habits they have with brakes, and this is the first relevant thread I happen upon!

Any help would be appreciated.

The Scenics do have a history of leaking air seals on the brake master cylinder.

Excees brake dust on one wheel nay be due to a sticking caliper or pads.

Next time you take the car for a run feel the wheels and see if one is hotter than the others.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome