Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise/Vibration*fixed*

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise/Vibration*fixed*

Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
I have a Scenic II dCi 120 (November 2003) with 76K miles.

Since I bought it last August (at 66K, ex-Renault fleet from CarGiant), it's always had a vibration when the front suspension is compressed (eg. going into a dip), and the steering wheel vibrates more than it should.

Then yesterday morning it started making a loud mid-range metallic clonking sound from the front left over bumps, particularly when turning right. This morning it was OK at first, but then started clonking again after ~20 miles.

I had a look underneath and nothing is obviously loose or falling off, the wheel nuts are tight, and the steering and handling doesn't seem to be affected (other than a slight pull to the left which it's always had).

I plan to call the local dealer (Waters in St Albans) in the morning and guilt them into letting me jump the service queue and bring it in for a check-up (only car, safety issue, barely out of warranty (cough), 3-year-old kid etc.).

That said, I'm also wondering if it might just be the shocks (or one, at least), given the mileage (and the delay in the noise appearing, perhaps as the shock warms up), and I might just be better off taking it to a Kwik-fit or equivalent (which I suspect will be cheaper than the dealer, given that it IS out of warranty).

Any thoughts welcome (especially from psychic mechanics).

Hi, check out the upper engine mounting (rh side of engine). If you can squeeze a finger (or anything) between the top of the rubber and the underside of the black metal cover then the mounting has collapsed. This cured the similar vibration on my car. Downside is that the cheapest mounting I could find was 84 incl postage....upside was that it only took mr 1 hour to change!
Currently in abdr1's garage:
2004 Scenic 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome