Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

View Single Post
post #145 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2011
White Knight
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Smile Re: Renault Clio 2003 - Engines - Loss of power and Warning Light

Originally Posted by sixteen_valve_vanessa View Post
Hello - first post. I've had a trawl through the forums and found similar questions but can't find one that matches my own problem.

Basically what happens is that I am driving along and all of a sudden my clio (03 Clio Expression 1.2 16v) dramatically loses power and acceleration. When this happens the electronic fault warning light comes on on my dashboard. (The one with a jagged line and a 'squiggle' beneath it!)Because my maximum speed drops to about 30 mph I have to limp to a layby or the next set of traffic lights and turn the car off and on again. This always seems to clear the problem... until the next time it occurs.

I took it to a garage who hooked my car up to a system which is (supposedly) able to diagnose the fault. They said that it was a problem either with the throttle potentiometer or another little switch. So I spent 120 quid having this diagnosis done and these two components changed. Guess what? It still happens!

I have had the car for a year, it has 63k miles on the clock and this fault has been occurring intemittently for about 4 months. Unfortunately it has been happening more and more recently such that it happens pretty much every journey I make now.

Its bloody annoying and actually pretty dangerous as it seems to happen without warning. Any advice gratefully received!

PS My car is blue if that makes a difference.
I would take car back to garage are they a renault dealer, Ask them to refund your money and find the fault. If they refuse threaten going to office of fair trading and that you will have the repair independently inspected.
Currently in White Knight's garage:
Renault Clio 1.5dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome