Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Collecting an 02 plate Megane

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd February 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Collecting an 02 plate Megane

Firstly, sorry if this should be in the "ask the experts" section but the sectional headings appear a little vauge and I wasnt sure which section this thread would be best suited too.

Anyway for those who havnt read my "hello" thread Im Matt and Im about to collect my brother in laws 02 plate megane. Given to me as a hand-me-down/favour so I cant complain too much, Ive not actually got any details about the car other than that its a 1.4l 02 plate megane in green - shamefully limited knowlage I know but its a gift so I cant ask too many questions, I'll just have to wait until I've a chance to inspect it.

I am aware however of his concern that there is a suspected timing issue as the car revs "funny" in 5th. Thats about the extent of the information I have about the car at the minute but if you handy lot could point me in the right direction for what I should be paying close attention too while the cars jacked up that would be fantastic.

Im a keen motorcycle tinkerer and I've spent many hours surrounded by bike parts but this will be my first car engine bay adventure, with specific Renault tools and all the parts I can think of already on order. I thought I'd ask you lot what you would suggest I check/change etc on it.

From what I've already read on here I've ordered a waterpump along with the timing belt kit, a full service kit and a new ignition lead bundle. The aux drive belts will be sorted after the next pay day, and provided I dont kill it whilst doing the timing belt, lol. Also it'll be getting a new set of discs and pads along with a brake and radiator fluid flush - but thats all stuff I generally do to any bike I get so Im applying the same theory to the megane. Are there more specific megane issues I should be aware of?

Again all comments/tips apprechiated.
Currently in Owenski's garage:
Sorry Guys Im a biker, the megane is the odd one out.
  5 Lastest Threads by Owenski
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Collecting an 02 plate Megane Cars & motoring Owenski 4 1112 22nd February 2011 08:12 PM
About to collect and repair 02 plate 1.4 megane. Welcome to RenaultForums kim4689 1 791 22nd February 2011 07:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome