Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - installing a mod chip to increase bhp

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
These resistors supposedly trick the ECU into increasing fuelling. I think they do it by increasing the resistance reported by the airflow meter, making the ECU think there's more air, and increasing fuel accordingly.

I can only go by what I've read, but the general concensus is that they do absolutely stuff all on a modern 'closed loop' fuel injection system with a lambda sensor. They're supposed to trick the engine into running rich, but the sensor will see this in the exhaust gases and reduce fuelling to compensate.

And before you even think of it, the things that supposedly 'swirl' the air in the intake are just as pointless. Snake oil , the whole lot of it.

If your car's still struggling to reach 80mph then it needs looking at. The 1.6 16v may not be jet propelled, but according to Dervman's specsheet, it's still supposed to be good for 120 (sounds a bit optimistic to me mind you, but I'd still expect it to see the right side of 100.)
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome