Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - Wheels & Tyres - Track Rod End Arm pics & Help

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 5th March 2011 Thread Starter
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion Threadstarter
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Re: Renault Espace - Wheels & Tyres - Track Rod End Arm pics & Help

Iam guessing this is what your looking for??

If its the outer track rod end your looking to replace? this is what it looks like below,

Now to remove it there is a few things you need to know first,

When removing the track rod end its a good idea to mark the threads where the track rod is locked in place below with a yellow No 2,

This pic is not of an Espace track rod end but its the same principal

Where i have indicated on the pic by a yellow No2? this is the 17mm locking nut that locks the track rod end to the track rod,

This pic is not of an Espace track rod & track rod end but its the same principal

Then where the locking nut was after you have loosened it? mark the threads with a tip ex pen so when you get round to fitting the new track rod end back on its set up as close as it once was so you tracking is not out by miles..although it still needs to be tracked afterwards but not always? as most cars have a little tolerance? so if you set the track rod end back up to the mark you made your tracking should be pretty much what it was before you started? unless it was already out hence why you need to have the tracking checked to be sure,

Once you loosened the locking nut and marked the threads its now time to loosen the nut mark yellow No 1

Once you have done this lightly tap the track rod end out of the hub?it should just pop out of its locating hole on the hub?if not? hit it a little harder next time man lol,

Once this has been done its now time to unscrew the track rod end off of the track rod by screwing the track rod end anticlockwise whilst holding the track rod in place using a spanner where i have marked it with a Yellow No 3,you will also need a spanner around the track rod end itself to aid its removal when turning it anticlockwise as it will be tight with years worth of grim

If it is tight? use a little WD40 sprayed around the locking nut threads before hand and that should make it a little easier when you go to remove it? if its still stuck? some times a little heat around the threads where the locking nut once was before you loosened it using a plumbers blow torch is enough to help it along its way but only as a last resort,

Then its pretty much everything in reverse making sure the new track rod end is screwed back up to the mark you made at the a good un,

Any questions just ask, iam happy to help,

Cheers Don
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome