Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Used Car with ceased needed 1000+ work doing...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2011 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Angry Used Car with ceased needed 1000+ work doing...

Hi there.

PLEASE can somebody advise me this is the worst experience I've ever had!

This is a long story so I apologise in advance.

On 05/02/2011 I traded in my Megane Scenic for a Megane Sport Tourer, price was 3490 but it was a swap (part ex) and he gave me a cheque for 100 towards the Scenic. He also gave me a 3 month parts and labour warranty with the Megane, but nothing in writing apart from the receipt / new keeper supplement, and all the usual books for the car.

Within 5 days of having the car, it needed work doing on it. I contacted the seller who was 50 miles away from my home, who said he would ring me back. From this point, I never heard from him again...until recently (see later in this post).

I could not travel to see him, nor could I get to work / transport kids without the work getting done so I had it done by my local garage and paid for it. (Camshaft dephaser pulley with cambelt kit - 410)

Since then I've had more and more work done on the car, same scenario where I tried to contact the seller but no answer.

Now I've spent 1000+ on the car, all on credit cards so now I'm paying interest on it too!

I managed to find him today he's ceased trading and now works for a Motor Village as a valeter...which sounds odd to me.

I spoke to Trading Standards who said the following:
"Warranty or No Warranty, the car needed work doing to it within the legal 3 month period for used cars which suggests that the work needed doing before the car was sold."

My local garage has advised me that the problems were definately historical and should have been sorted before the car even went on the forecourt.

The seller said that he has ceased trading and has no money, but can offer me a refund for the car's original price?! - which is a bit it's totally out of the question because I'd still be out of pocket and without a car.

My questions are:
- Do I have any chance of seeing some money back?
- Surely he can afford to pay for the work I've had done if he can afford to give me 3490 back for the car?!?
- What are my rights?

Thank you for reading, please can somebody help me?

Currently in andyellis111's garage:
2014 Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.6dci 130 GT Line TomTom SS with black and cream leather heated seats
  5 Lastest Threads by andyellis111
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Indicator relay / flasher - where is it? Electronics Nottnoc 2 1008 22nd April 2015 05:27 AM
Looking for ignition feed for auto dimming mirror Electronics andyellis111 5 887 10th January 2015 08:16 AM
Project: Integrated Electric Gate remote Electronics spacecadet 5 850 24th November 2014 06:43 PM
Hello I'm back! Collecting my new car on... Welcome to RenaultForums HeatherJ 6 983 23rd November 2014 08:48 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome