Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Stupid Question About Filling Up...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 18th March 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Stupid Question About Filling Up...

Utterly pointless question I have about refuelling your motor, but I need my curiosity satisfied...

I put on average around 50 when I go to fill up (unleaded petrol), and was wondering if this is better fuel consumption and general wear-and-tear for the car?

I don't usually scrat around putting in fivers and tenners in here and there but wanted to know the pros & cons for both.

I heard recently that the belief that leaving your fuel low sucks up 'crap' from the bottom of the tank is actually a myth for modern motors, but to counter that, my Dad (who I believe is having a mid-life crisis as he's just bought a silver Tigra Coupe!) says that you waste fuel if you fill up to the brim as it drinks extra petrol pulling the extra weight of the fully-laden tank... yet a few of my work colleagues hate the idea of having less than a half-tank of fuel.

Obviously, the whole inconvenience of putting a few quid in every other day far outweighs any argument on the subject, but it's a question I've been asking myself for years, and have now found the perfect platform ask it out loud.

I don't think I'll ever change my filling-up habits, but was thinking aloud what yours are and which option is better and why?
Currently in Swipey's garage:
2008 Ford Focus
  5 Lastest Threads by Swipey
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
RIP My Megane - Advice Needed! General Chat monkydoo 9 1783 11th July 2012 02:20 PM
The Little Things You Love & Hate About Your... Cars & motoring dave_mezza2006 7 1666 2nd April 2011 12:20 PM
Megane Dashboard Mileage Range Interiors VelSatisfied 4 3608 2nd April 2011 11:32 AM
Motorway Madness - A Rant Cars & motoring datostar 38 7634 26th March 2011 12:00 PM
Gutted!!! General Chat madnoel10 11 3813 25th March 2011 07:02 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome