Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Would you buy a Renault, after reading this???.. (The moaners thread)..

View Single Post
post #73 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2011
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Talking Re: Would you buy a Renault, after reading this???.. (The moaners thread)..

My Laguna 1 phase II 1.6 is the first Renault I have ever owned. I bought back in 2001, still have it, have no intention whatsoever of replacing it and it has now done just short of 200,000 miles. The clutch has only just been replaced from new and that was purely as a precaution given the mileage as my daughter is borrowing it for her holidays as her Corsa is now too small with a young baby plus all the extras. Apart from a full annual service at my local independent garage, brake shoes and pads, drop link bushes, cam belts, exhaust etc, all the usual items that need doing on all cars, the car hasn't missed a beat in the last 10 years, drives like new, looks like new (well almost) and will remain with me for the foreseeable future as we absolutely love it. It's an absolute gem to drive being extremely comfortable so why change? ALL car manufacturers can produce a bad car and I'm not a fan of main dealers or their prices. I do however insist on genuine Renault parts wherever possible. I'm only posting to show the reverse side of the coin to the original post on this thread as there are always differing opinions and experiences on the same vehicles. I've heard some horror stories about the electrics on the Laguna II but it doesn't put me off. When this Laguna 1 of mine is about had it I'll get another Renault, but the way it's going, that may be another 10 years yet

BTW I use Continental Eco 2 tyres, have always used continental tyres and I am at loss with your comments that they are rubbish as I have found them brilliant in all circumstances. My car does over 54mpg on a run and 45mpg on average. The rolling resistance is negligible which, I believe results in my excellent fuel consumption. Long lasting and very good value for money. All this is borne out in the last 'Which' report on tyres in which they came out tops!
Currently in Biffo1262's garage:
1998 Laguna 1 phase 2 1.6RN and 'Grandad's Bus' a 1985 Bedford CF2 Travelhome S coachbuilt motorhome which has become a sort of family heirloom.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome