Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - To warranty or not to warranty?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 20th March 2011 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: To warranty or not to warranty?

Thanks - I guess I'm interested in the odds here.

Way I see it, you either pay 2,500 on a 5k car for 3 yrs cover, or pocket the 2,500 and cross fingers. Worst-case is it blows up and you write it off.

Assume we can afford to pay the extra 2,500 over the warranty cost to replace the car if it blows up every 3 years. Should you go into owning an Espace with the mindset that there's a 'Espace tax' that you might have to pay, but that's the price for getting a luxury, high-spec, very versatile MPV for a low price? (We think 5k for a car like an Espace with 50k on the clock is very cheap. The alternative was an XC90 at twice the price with less versatility).

On a 5k car, if there's a 50% of an engine going and effectively writing the car off within 3 yrs, then it makes sense to pay half its value to protect against the loss.

But I just can't believe that these engines fail so often though - that would be catastrophic for Renault.

Like in the OP, I can justify a warranty that costs 10% of the car's value, but 50%? Really?

Is there a realistic chance (like 1 in 10 or 1 in 5) that it will blow up? If you pick 5 Espace owners, how likely is it that one of them had to replace an engine/gearbox at a cost of over 2,500?
Currently in MikeStead's garage:
'56 Grand Espace Initiale 3.0 dCi

Last edited by MikeStead; 20th March 2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more thinking.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome