Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Looking for some advice post service...

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 24th March 2011
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Looking for some advice post service...

Hi there.

I'm a bit confused about the prices you've quoted - are they supply only, or supply and fit?

If supply only, then yes, they are quite expensive. But bleeding a braking system takes some time (fitting wipers, less so), but time is money. They could be working on someone else's car, rather than yours - so I wouldn't begrudge them charging for the labour.

Regards the water pump - this item is non-serviceable, and if you are (really) lucky, you might hear a whining from the bearing indicating it requiring replacement - but then, you may not. And a siezed water pump will snap your cambelt - so is it worth replacing? I would say so, that way you have plenty of peace of mind, and the garage has little excuse if it all goes in the shape of a pear.

The difference in labour rates, you mention is what's known as Warranty Rates - effectively the garage does what repairs are authorised at a reduced rate (often just above cost). But warranty/insurance companies have that negotiating power, and we (as individual consumers) do not. However, you always have the right to shop around.

Slight play in a steering arm isn't dangerous per se, but it will over time cause whichever tyre it relates to, to wear unevenly, and so require replacement at an earlier stage.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome