Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Any quick cure for sqeaky brakes?

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 24th March 2011
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Any quick cure for sqeaky brakes?

Any time I have ever renewed brake pads or discs I have never had any problems with squealing.

In my experience cleanliness is the key.

It is essential all areas of contact areas clean and corrosion free.

Wherever possible I remove the pad carrier and stick in the vice and scrub it clean with a wire brush and if necessary use a file lightly on any area into which the pad comes into contact - that includes the surface of the piston and any area where the anti-rattle springs come into contact. It is vital the all areas of contact for the pad meet cleanly and squarely. I then do a trial fit of the pads at the vice - if things don't go together easily by hand then someyhing is amiss. It is always important not to damage the surface of the caliper piston - even the slightest marks or nicks can cause problems to arise. For instance using a lever or pliers there is the risk of leaving a raised lip or nick on the piston. If this ocurs then the contact area between the piston and caliper will not be true.
When retracting the piston I use a G-Clamp and and old brake pad - friction side towards the piston and with the brake bleeder slackened gently wind the piston home.

Yes being fussy can take more time but in the end you are more likely to end up with fewer problems.

Having said that you can't make a purse out of a sows ear so if the discs are shot you may be wasting your time.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome