Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace Mk3 brakes problems

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th March 2011
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Re: Espace Mk3 brakes problems

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A faulty servo will give a hard brake pedal with reduced braking effort.To test,sit in the car and pump the brake pedal a few times,then start the car whilst holding pressure on the pedal,you should feel it drop slightly and this is showing that the servo is physically working.The vaccum pumps can become weak after time and the pedal may intermittantly become hard whilst driving.

A master cylinder fault will usually give a long pedal which can be then pumped up,but instantly returns to the lower position if left.

If the problem has only happened since the new discs were fitted then you have to suspect something that was disturbed during their replacement.You need to have the parts removed and checked as it sounds to me like either one of the caliper slides is seized (a very common thing) or the pads are seized into the carriers.Any imbalance across the axles should have shown up on the MOT brake test,but the limit is 25% which means that a car can happily pass but still pull one way under braking.

Obviously as this is brakes we're talking about you need to have them checked asap.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome